My Aboriginal Heritage - Part 3 - DNA relatives
My Motherline via mtDNA
Yaama! My Aboriginal lineage is directly via my motherline. This means that an mtDNA test will trace right back along my indigenous ancestry. My mtDNA belongs to haplogroup M42a. I have two matches but both are a genetic distance of 2 which is too far to be useful for genealogy, though I have still looked at the matches and their trees just in case!
Ancestry DNA - autosomal test results
I have not based my Aboriginality solely on DNA tests. I have done the paper research as well (you can read about this in Part 1 & Part 2) however, I believe that DNA doesn't lie, though of course it can be misinterpreted. Based on everything else that I have found I believe this to be accurate and supports my paper-based research.
I don't care what % I am.
I am Aboriginal by descent. Coffee is still coffee regardless of the amount of milk you add.
I have DNA matches with all of my cousins from George (Mary Ann's first son and half-sibling to my grandmother Dora). I also have DNA matches with descendants of Mary Ann's father.
What I need now
What I need now is for the right person to test. I don't know who that is, but another descendant of Margaret if there is one. Someone that knows the ancestral information, someone with a tie to the community. Perhaps even a descendant of Emma would be a nice treat.
I need someone in the know to lead me to the right people, people that might welcome me and guide me to some answers or at least to give a little acceptance. I have accepted this as my heritage and hope others will embrace and encourage my passion for it as well.
Read the journey I am on to connect with my heritage in Part 4. Yaluu!




WOW! Looking forward to Part 4...
ReplyDelete