Books I own - Indigenous history

 The following books (and other resources) are ones that I have used to research and education myself on my indigenous heritage.


"Dark Emu" by Bruce Pascoe (2014) This was one of the first books I read. It is a non-fiction book which provides evidence from colonial accounts of the agricultural practices of Aboriginal people in Australia.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/dark-emu-bruce-pascoe/book/9781921248016.html


"Truganini: Journey through the apocalypse" By Cassandra Pybus (2020)

Tells the story of Truganini, Tasmanian Aboriginal woman, and her companions, based on the journals of those who shaped the course of her life. A beautifully told and compelling story. I love this book.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/truganini-cassandra-pybus/book/9781760529222.html


"Walgett before the motor car" by John Ferry (1981)

This is quite an old book but tells the history of Walgett. it was recommended to me many years ago by one of the research librarians at Newcastle City Library. It has alternate chapters on the Aboriginal history European settlement, and the development of the town covering the years 1830 to 1910. I read this book cover to cover looking for some sign of my ancestors within the pages. Although I didn't find them, it was a really good book to give an overall history, and not just of European settlement. Obviously this is so old as to be out of print but can be found at places such as the link below.

https://www.thenookyamba.com/books/walgett/


"One Blood" by John Harris (2018)

It tells about the Christian missionaries and their attempts to bring Christianity to Aboriginal people. The book recognises the misguided attempts and the people often blind to their own faults. It uses lots of sources in an effort to bring a balanced record of the missions, their failures and their successes.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/one-blood-john-w-harris/book/9780987415028.html


"My People's Dreaming" by Max Dulumunmun Harrison

A great book for those trying to connect with their heritage, but this book is currently out of print. I am a bit sad that I gave mine away thinking that I would just replace it, I do hope they will print it again. It is a wonderful book with great information.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/my-people-s-dreaming-max-dulumunmun-harrison/book/9780369319630.html


"Talking to my Country" by Stan Grant (2017)

Stan Grant always writes very passionately and this is no exception. He challenges us all to be better.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/talking-to-my-country-stan-grant/book/9781460751985.html


Language is a very important part of culture. I got this little pocket dictionary of Gamilaraay language in the mail yesterday and thought I would add it.  This one is available in very limited quantities from Barriekneal Housing.

I also have a full , more comprehensive dictionary on the way.











Another dictionary I own. Wonderful to have and to learn. Available from Five Senses, very reasonably priced and fast delivery.



https://www.fivesenseseducation.com.au/gamilaraay-yuwaalaraay-yuwaalayaay-dictionary-9781760321925






Other important resources in my opinion to understand the history and the present time

IQ2 Racism Debate - Stan Grant



Adam Goodes - The final quarter

If you get the opportunity to watch this it is very moving and topical

https://thefinalquarterfilm.com.au/watch/


Ask us Anything: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People - University of Sydney


Meyne Wyatt Monologue "Complacency is Complicity"




Comments